With summer fast approaching, many of us are focusing on our health. Whether that means incorporating more variety into our diet, finding new ways to be active or just getting outside to enjoy more sun, there is no better time to focus on improving your own health... and helping your community do the same!
Depending on how big your hometown is, you may already know about the resources available to you when it comes to living a healthy lifestyle: healthy restaurants, fitness studios and gyms, nutritionists and so much more. If you're lucky, your area has parks, pools and other outdoor areas where people can get outside to play and exercise when the weather is nice. But sometimes knowing how to access these resources and where to start can be daunting.
But that's where you come in! You have the power to help your community get involved in taking charge of their health, get involved in helping others do the same, and getting active! By researching various health professionals, nutritious restaurants and grocery stores, fitness studios and more, you can host a health fair in your community. Our project of the month has easy step-by-step instructions to help you plan one yourself!
Helping your community focus on their health and wellness helps make it a better place to live for everyone involved. Not sure how improving the health of others involves you? We've got some resources to get started:
- Check out this fact sheet on health and sickness for ideas about cheering up kids in the hospital!
- Help combat negative body image by posting positive messages in your community!
- Make "giggle books" for kids who may be stuck at home or in the hospital with an illness!
- Check out our fact sheet on mental health and some ideas on how to help erase its stigma!
- Collect gently-used sporting equipment to donate to a local shelter or after school program!
- Our partner, Learning to Give, has these awesome lesson plans on health and wellness!