It's that time of year--back to school! Whether you've already started or are gearing up, generationOn has LOTS of exciting new things to offer your Club this year!
Over the years, generationOn has focused on supporting youth in meaningful service by providing tools, resources and programming. Each year, we've seen the amazing impact youth have made on their communities through that service. We've also witnessed the positive impact that service has had on the youth engaged; how it has supported the development of key skills, like cooperation and critical thinking, as well as social emotional competencies, like caring, empathy and compassion.
This year generationOn is focusing on making our Club's curriculum more robust to help you engage in service that is truly life changing--for communities and for kids.
Here's what it looks like:
We're putting a stake in the ground about quality.
We know that service is most meaningful when it is comprised of a few key steps: Learn, Act and Reflect. For teachers, you already know this as IPARDE! For each service project completed, we want to support you in helping youth to:
- Learn about and investigate community needs,
- Take action through service to address those needs and;
- Reflect on the difference that service made to themselves, their peers and their communities.
We're focusing on the impact of service on youth.
We know that service helps youth develop key skills and competencies they need to be successful in school and in life.
- We want to help you focus on supporting youth in the development of empathy, caring and compassion, as well as collaboration, critical thinking and creativity through each service project and in the project planning process.
- Check out our new Empathy toolkit, created in partnership with Ashoka, for great activities and resources. And sign-up for our webinar series to learn more!
We want to be more connected with you!
In order to support you more effectively--we need to be more connected! We'll be offering more training, more tools and be reaching out to you more frequently to learn how it's going and what we can do to help your Club plan and execute on the most impactful service projects possible.
- Sign up for our Club's Facebook group to connect with other facilitators and generationOn staff.
If you are eager to get started on making your service work more meaningful, check out some of the tools and resources below!
- IPARDE Webinar Series is a guided series to help facilitators use the Learn - Act - Reflect service-learning model. The series breaks down the development of service projects into five steps: Investigation, Preparation, Action, Reflection, and Demonstration.
- Kids Care Club and Service Club Do Your Own Thing Guides help put youth in the driver's seat in the planning process of their service projects.
generationOn has lots of great ways to help kids and teens give back, show they care and develop new skills and competencies this fall!
- September 1 to October 17: generationOn's Rules of Kindness campaign, sponsored by Hasbro, challenges kids and teens to build empathy, be kind and show they care. Visit rulesofkindness.generationon.org to sign-up and be entered to win grants!
- September 11: generationOn has created a toolkit to help adults discuss, act and reflect on September 11 as a National Day of Service and Remembrance with young people. The toolkit fosters inclusion, peace and kindness, encouraging youth to act on these ideals through service.
- November 19: Family Volunteer Day is a day of service that celebrates the power of families who work together to support their communities and neighborhoods. Volunteering is a great way for kids and adults to make new friends, develop compassion for their neighbors and even pick up a new skill or two!
- November 21 to December 23: Mark your calendars for the Joy Maker Challenge! generationOn will be hosting its 7th annual Joy Maker Challenge. For each kid or teen who volunteers, Hasbro donates a toy or game to Toys for Tots, up to 1 million dollars' worth!