Description and Purpose:
Extraordinary youth from around the country serve on generationOn's National Youth Advisory Council. As part of the Council, these young service leaders help to develop and execute generationOn's key initiatives, serve as ambassadors for generationOn, and inspire other young people by completing on-the-ground service projects and sharing their stories.
- Advise generationOn while learning about approaches for engaging youth in community service.
- Partner with like-minded youth with unique perspectives from around the country.
- Act as a youth service ambassador in your region by participating in and doing outreach around generationOn initiatives.
- Share your service story on a national platform and be recognized for your achievements.
- Participate in other opportunities as available.
- Do two (2) on-the-ground service projects during generationOn campaigns: Joy Maker (Nov-Dec) and Make Your Mark (March-April).
- Serve as an ambassador for generationOn by doing outreach in your local community for generationOn programs, including campaigns and Clubs.
- Participate in monthly online meetings on the first Thursday of the month at 8:00pm EST/5:00pm PST during the 8-month term (October 2015 - May 2016).
- Be a middle or high school student (in grades 7-12) in September 2015.
- Be a resident of the 50 United States or District of Columbia.
- Be able to commit to a term from October 2015 - May 2016.
- Be available and have access to appropriate technology (phone and internet) for monthly web meetings with fellow Council members.
Estimated time commitment:
- Monthly hour long meetings October - May (usually 1 hour, with a couple 2 hour trainings) on the first Thursday of the month at 8:00pm EST/5:00pm PST.
- 2 service projects in your community (4-6 hours each, or longer!)
- Other participation as available
Timeline for selection:
- Application open: August 19th - September 11th
- Phone interviews: September 21st - 25th
- Selection decisions made on or around September 28th
- Orientation call: Thursday, October 1st at 8:00pm EST/5:00pm PST
The 2015-16 YAC application is now closed. Thanks for your interest!
For questions regarding the generationOn Youth Advisory Council, please email yac@generationOn.org or call Emily Rios at 917-746-8167.