Description and Purpose:
Extraordinary youth from around the country serve on generationOn's National Youth Advisory Council. As part of the Council, these young service leaders help to develop and execute generationOn's key initiatives, serve as ambassadors for generationOn, and inspire other young people by completing on-the-ground service projects and sharing their stories.
- Engage in creative work with a nonprofit organization focused on youth and volunteer service.
- Partner with like-minded youth with unique perspectives from around the country.
- Receive a discount to attend the 2018 ServiceUnites Conference on Volunteering and Service.
- Act as a youth service ambassador in your region by participating in and doing outreach around generationOn initiatives.
- Inform generationOn programming while learning about approaches for engaging youth in community service.
- Be enrolled in middle or high school (ages 13-18 and grades 7-12) in August/September 2017
- Be a resident of the 50 United States or District of Columbia
- Be able to commit to an eight-month term (October 2017 - May 2018) with an option to extend
- Be available for online monthly meetings with fellow Council members
- Be able to provide feedback and participate in program evaluations
- Plan and complete two (2) on-the-ground service projects as a part of generationOn's campaigns and days of service (list of campaigns and days of service to be provided)
- Participate in monthly online meetings/trainings during the eight-month term (Absence from meeting must be given at least 72 hours in advance; attendance at 5 of 7 meetings required)
- Write one to two (1-2) blogs to share on the generationOn website for the monthly service themes or days of service (list of themes and days of service to be provided)
- Nominate at least one (1) Daily Point of Light Award during the eight-month term
- Serve as an ambassador for generationOn by doing outreach in your local community for generationOn programs, including campaigns, days of service and Clubs
- Assist generationOn in the creation of new resources for kids and teens, providing a youth perspective and voice to the work that generationOn does
- Provide updates on service projects, awards received or other accomplishments of note for generationOn to recognize your hard work!
If you cannot meet the requirements:
- If you are absent at more than two (2) of the monthly meetings or are unable to complete the other requirements of serving on the generationOn Youth Advisory Council, you will receive a warning via email and will be put on probation.
- You can be reinstated to a full council member if you complete the requirements in the 60-day period following your probation email.
- If you are still unable to complete the requirements after receiving your warning and being placed on probation, you will be removed from the council.
Estimated time commitment:
- Monthly hour long meetings October - May (usually 1 hour, with a couple 1:30 hour trainings).
- Feedback on generationOn resources, as needed: 1-2 hours
- 2 service projects in your community (4-6 hours each, or longer!)
- Other participation as available
Timeline for selection:
- Applications for the 2017-2018 Youth Advisory Council are due 5:00pm EST on September 1, 2017
- Phone interviews for finalists will take place September 11, 2017 - September 15, 2017
- All applicants will be notified of the status of their applications the week of September 22, 2017
- Members selected must participate in an orientation call 7PM EST/4PM PST on Monday, October 2, 2017
For questions regarding the generationOn Youth Advisory Council, please email Niki Huntsman at firstname.lastname@example.org.